PC: Rolling Greens
Mother’s Day is approaching and that means most of us will be scrambling to get the perfect gift in the midst of our busy lives. Well, rest easy, because I have put together a chic gift guide to help you find that special present in a flash.
I think the best present is to get someone an “experience.” This could be a class or tickets to a concert or museum exhibit. A gift like this is really special and can allow for the giver and receiver to spent some quality time together. With this in mind, I found an amazingly whimsical class at my favorite plant and garden store called Rolling Greens. They are having a Mothers Day Brunch + Botanical Beauty Workshop May 8th from 1-2PM. The brunch includes meyer lemon pancakes, avocado toast and mimosas. This sounds like an absolute dream! The class is $65 a person but you get $10 off if you buy a ticket for yourself and your mom ($120). Sign up HERE!
PC: Rolling Greens
Every woman loves a good floppy hat! Get your mom the most fabulous statement piece with this “Leave a Message” embroidered number from Eugenia Kim at SAKS! This one may break the bank at $455 but if you head over to the website, it is now on sale for $318.50. Click HERE!
Last but not least, is an old time favorite and one present that you absolutely cannot go wrong with. On budget, elegant and always well received. Grab a Diptyque candle from Net-A-Porter for $62. Click HERE!
Oh what a magical weekend we have ahead of us! It’s the Oscars! Will Leo finally take home the gold? One thing I know for sure is that a ton of you will be hosting or going to a party for the awards show this weekend. So, I wanted to give you some inspiration so you can WIN your Oscars Party or bring a little treat that will be sure to impress.
1) I love the above mini champagne bottles outfitted for a glamorous Oscars night. Add in those straws and guests can drink from the bottle which will cut down on the clutter. Super cute.
2) Tuxedo champagne glasses are a unique way to serve a classic cocktail. Its so easy and makes a wonderful cocktail display. Definitely Instagram worthy! Such a great idea from Celebrationsathomeblog.com!
3) You have to have an Oscar statue somewhere right? Why not create a sweet treat that includes this iconic object? Guests will love your cookies and get and Oscar all to themselves! You can get an Oscar cookie cutter from Etsy or Amazon!
Valentines Day is around the corner… cue the panic! Just kidding, don’t you dare panic! I’ve got great gift and accessory ideas for you right here. The best part is that you can pick all of these babies up in one place. That way you can make your Drybar appointment and be on time for that fabulous dinner reservation! Head to Paper Source and make life easy!
Super Cute and Useful Gift for Her:
Chic and Festive Home Accessory:
Funny Gift for Him:
AND Because Who Doesn’t Love Puppies Kissing
Let’s face it ladies, the Super Bowl is all about the FOOD. I couldn’t tell you who half the players are and just recently learned what teams will be going head to head tomorrow. But God knows I have been thinking about what food I am going to serve at my little Super Bowl Bash for weeks. Priorities! I know everyone is busy and probably hasn’t obsessively been seeking out the perfect party food like I have, so I made a quick and easy list of fabulous recipes for entertaining on Game Day! Enjoy!
Mini Chili Corn Bowls
These are the cutest darn things! Thanks Food Network Magazine for a super cute presentation of an American Classic!
1 Cup Chopped Carrots
1 Cup Choped Onions
5 Chopped Cloves of Garlic
1 Cup Chopped Zucchini
1 Package Lean Turkey Meat
1 Can Kidney Beans
1 Can of Corn
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
4 Tablespoons of Ground Cumin
4 Tablespoons of Smoked Paprika
2 Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3/4 cup of Barbeque Sauce
In a large pot over medium heat, sauté your carrots, onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the veggies are soft, add in your turkey meat and brown. Once the turkey is cooked, add your can of tomatoes, corn, zucchini, kidney beans, BBQ sauce, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika and ground cumin. Mix everything together and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. This Chili is so amazing but feel free to add some extra pepper flakes, cumin and BBQ sauce for a bolder and more spicy flavor. I also like to finish off the dish with a dab of sour cream, shaved sharp cheddar and sliced scallions. Enjoy!
Healthy Cauliflower Buffalo Wings and decadent “Animal Style” Nachos.
The Butchers Daughter opened on Abbot Kinney recently and I got a chance to hang out when the space was virtually empty. This allowed me to take a real good look at the restaurant’s design aesthetic and draw some fabulous inspiration for both home décor and event pieces. Here are a few of my favs! Enjoy!
Every good hostess needs to know about the hottest new restaurants and of course how to steel some good foodie ideas for her next soiree. Now, you will be able to talk about a hip new place and perhaps start thinking about a backyard BBQ style party.
I went to Maple Block Meat Co a few weeks back and surprisingly really liked it. I say that because I am not much of a red meat girl. However, my friends talked me into it and I could not have been happier. Now with this said, most of my recommendations will probably be a departure from the normal reviews. I could have left the brisket behind BUT others at my table raved! Here are my favorites for a gal who rather eat sushi than Filet Mignon. Sometimes its nice to try new things!
Must Have Dishes
1. Must have the BISCUITS! I am still thinking about these fluffy, buttery, yet crispy mounds of joy! They come with a large side of homemade butter. I die! Um how about a Biscuit Bash? Invite people over and have a ton of different toping for biscuits. You could set up a biscuit bar and make everything or do it pot luck style and have people bring over the fixings while you supply the biscuits. Fried chicken, egg and cheese, gravy, butter and jam, chili biscuits. SO many yummy options.
2. Pork Shoulder Lettuce Wraps! So damn good. They take on a BBQ and Asian flavor at the same time which is super unique and mouthwateringly good. Also a robust flavor without the heaviness of most meat dishes.
3. Smoked Pork Belly! Rich smoky flavor with meat that is perfectly crisp. I like a god crunch with a pork belly.
Maple Block reminds me a bit of an old time eating hall with a modern flair. It has a laid back vibe with an industrial look as seen in the subway tiled walls, small round floor tiles and rustic iron throughout. They have some really nice touches with a great outdoor patio, long family style tables for big parties, a super cool vintage cash register and some specialty items like Mexican Soda. I give it a 7 out of 10. This place is more about the food than the décor.
The art of a good dinner party has never been so simple. There are so many super cute items that you can easily throw together to make an unforgettable experience that is uniquely your style! BUT, we are all busy bees so I have provided you with some of my favorite must have dinner party items so you can entertain easily and in style. Pick up a few of these pieces and you’ll be able to make your gatherings chic and memorable in minutes.
The Perfect Cocktail Glasses
Let’s face it, you are going to spend most of your time sipping back some delicious rose or a home made gimlet so you better have the perfect glasses for your guests. I love these delicate champagne glasses from Anthropologie. Use them for any cocktail and you will win the night!
Chic and Easy Table Setting
I love, love, love easy entertaining and these vintage paper placemats are the perfect item for someone who wants a chic look without the hassle! Personalize the placemats for an extra special and unique look! Roll them up at the end of the night and recycle. You can find these at Paper Source for $35.
I would never steer you away from a beautiful floral arrangement but let’s add some pizzazz to an old favorite. Here are a few ideas for simple and lovely centerpieces.
I know we would all like to think that our charming personalities and delectable homemade meals would be enough to entertain our guests, but most people have an appetite for something more. I always like to have something on the table that guests can look through, play with, take pictures with etc. These vintage paper masks are a great little item to place around the table and have people try on, take pictures with and pretend for a moment that they are at some fabulous mascaraed ball. Are they not?
Mixology Trivia with Winning Prize
Shower them with gifts and they will come back every time – We all like a little gift now and again. As children weren’t we always winning prizes and getting little trinkets from our 90 year old Aunt Fanny’s? Well, let’s bring it back. I suggest that you put together trivia cards for everyone and play in between dinner and dessert. You can look up an array of trivia from dinner and cocktail themed games to current events. Mixology is so hot right now and it is super fun to have a little trivia on cocktail ingredients. The winner gets a prize (a candle, kitchenware, bottle of wine) and everyone else is ready for the next dinner party where they will no doubt be the victorious one!
Holy Smokes this cleaver board is one the coolest platters I have ever seen! I found this gem while I was home in NJ over the holidays. It is made by a local designer and sure to be a unique item for anyone’s home. This is a great piece for the avid entertainer or someone who is looking for a really special gift. Because it is produced in small quantities and a rare item I have provided the designer, Bret Cavanaugh’s, contact information so you can buy one directly from him if it tickles your fancy!
Halloween is around the corner and this means that all you DIY Diva’s are kicking into high gear! This season really wow your guests by making these DIY Day of the Dead Skull Cookies. People will be so impressed by your creativity and mad skills! Not to mention that these make for such a fun and unique dessert at all your fall gatherings! Place the cookies on top of mini plastic martini glasses filled with milk and you have the most CUTEtastic dessert in all the land! Your kids will also LOVE this sweet and spooky treat!
1) Make a batch of skull shaped Sugar Cookies. You can easily do this by grabbing a log of Phillsbury pre-made sugar cookie dough from any super market (who has time to make their own? Seriously) and a super cute skull cookie cutter from Target! After you cut out your skulls make a hole for the “nose” where a paper straw will fit through. You can make this hole by using a metal straw if you have one or carefully with a paper straw. A knife point also works well.
2) Let cookies cool and then frost them with white cookie icing and let dry for and hour. Pour yourself a nice glass of Souv Blanc while you wait. That’s an order ladies!
3) Take your Wilton Food Markers (found at Michaels or Party City) and go to town on fun skull designs. You can follow the styles I made or create your own.
4) You are almost there! Now, take mini martini cups (found at Party City) and fill them half way with milk. Place straws through your cookie “nose” holes and set them on top of the martini glasses. Voila! You have the most incredible DIY treat for all your Fall and Halloween entertaining.
The Emmy’s are THIS Sunday and that means a lot of you will be hosting parties for the broadcast. There is not better way to get your guests involved in the show and have some fun than with ballots. I always have a bunch scattered around the coffee table with a mason jar filled with pens and a prize for the winner. Come on, you have to rally up some friendly competition to get people excited. A good winners gift goes a long way! I always love PopSugars printable ballots at awards season and this year is no different. Print out the above to play along for the BIG 8 categories this year!
Floppy hats are my absolute favorite accessory during the summer time. How else am I supposed to keep my pasty white skin? But seriously and more importantly, this “Out of Office” hat is super cute and so unique. Such a FAB Find! Grab this hat, a cocktail and put your out of office message up because it’s time for you to enjoy the last days of summer!
Pair this hat with the “Miramar” Dress from Reformation and you have a knockout look for all you’re end of summer soirees.
You can buy the hat in stores and the little red number in stores and online at Reformation
8253 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90048
I find a lot of discarded items outside of people’s homes; they may say trash, but I say treasure! In this DIY Diva , I will be taking a cracked antique mirror and turning it into a beautiful decorative tray. This item is perfect to place on a coffee table and brings a ton of personality to your home.
- 1 cracked antique mirror with wooden frame and back
- Rubber or generally protective gloves
- Mod Podge and application brush
- Newspaper, map or magazine clippings to decoupage
- Screwdriver if need be
- Put on your protective gloves to handle the cracked mirror and set aside an area that will allow for easy cleanup of any stray shards of glass. A garage is a perfect place for this. If the mirror is attached to the frame with nails use your screwdriver to remove them. Discard the glass immediately. Separate and use the wooden backing from the frame as your base for the tray. Make sure to clean it will a surface cleaner such as Method wood cleaner. Then, decoupage the wooden back with your desired clippings. I personally love using magazine clippings or subway maps. The London Tube system map is a great one! Once you have all your clippings ready, take your Mod Podge and brush and apply a thin layer to the wood and start placing your clippings on that base and then seal it with another layer of Mod Podge. Let it dry for a good hour and then screw the wooden base back onto the frame and you will have your decorative tray all ready to go! You can also screw on handles for a more classic tray look. I suggest getting some really unique handles from Anthropologie. Voila, from Trash to Fab in no time!
An egg carton can be found in almost anyone’s fridge and is disposed of without a second thought…until now! Let’s take this household staple and turn it on it’s head. From everyday Trash to everyday Fab.
I love this DIY project especially around Easter when you have a ton of cartons leftover from dying eggs for the holiday. You can take this “Trash” and make it into a super cute flower vase that has a shabby chic look and is SO eco-friendly. I suggest cutting the carton in half and doubling the amount of arrangements you can make. This DIY is also Fab for baby showers and spring weddings and allows for easy conversation across a decorated table.
- 1 egg carton cut into two halves (a scissor will easily cut through the soft cardboard)
- 12 small plastic pill cups to place in the individual egg sections.
- 6 coral roses and a bunch of greens. Try fresh dill and green wildflowers as your filler!
- Cut the egg carton in half. Take your pill cups and place them into the individual egg sections. If need be, cut down the tops of the pill cups so they sit just below the edge of the carton. You will fill these cups with water and then place the flowers in them. I like to place the roses at the corners of the carton and have the middle with a variety of greens. I like using fresh dill and green wildflowers as the filler!
DIY Glam Wedge Sneakers
The wedge sneaker craze is super popular, but I still couldn’t find a pair that I really like. Whoa is me! So, I decided to take matters into my own hands, or feet, and created DIY glam wedge sneakers for only $70!
Art Deco Wedge Sneakers
I wanted a shoe with some pizazz but not a pair that would break the bank! I headed to H&M and found a great sneaker base. Now, what would I do to jazz them up? I thought about feathers, glitter and even pipe cleaners. All bad choices. Very, very bad! Then, as I was walking through the H&M store, I discovered an art deco style necklace that would pair perfectly with the sneakers. Voila, I had found the missing link.
Now, let’s put it all together! Actually, this project is super easy. All you need are your sneakers, two necklaces, a scissor and Weldbond glue. Take each necklace and cut the chain with a regular scissor leaving about two inches of chain on either side of the art deco triangles. String the necklace through the bottom shoe string holes and glue the chain on the inside of the sneaker. Next, secure the triangles to the sneaker by using Weldbond glue. Let your DIY glam wedge sneakers dry for about an hour before wearing them. Wahooo!! Totally amazing, super cuteastic, pizazzyy sneakers all for under $70!!!!!!!
DIY Glam Wedge Sneakers