If you can’t tell I am trying to hold onto summer as long as possible. So this is for those east coasters who refuse to give up their beach houses just yet and for all the west coasters where its summer all year long.
I went to my local farmers market on Sunday and got talked into trying a Dragon Fruit. Of course, I was like oyy what did I just get myself into but then I got home and cut into it and found the prettiest looking fruit ever! I mean wowoweeeewow!
I couldn’t just eat it all and not create something FAB for the Hostess Handbook, so I began creating a Shrimp Salad to go inside the hollowed out shell. This Tasty Tip is more about the presentation than the actual shrimp salad recipe. I threw together some ingredients but you can make your own shrimp salad if you have a recipe or follow mine! The important part is that you see the look of the dish and can then recreate it with whatever filler you choose. A fruit salad or ice cream/sorbet would be great in a “Dragon Fruit bowl” too! This is a great appetizer or dessert display for dinner parties and is super easy to make. Your guests will be blown away!
1) Cut the Dragon Fruit in Half and scoop the fruit out to make a bowl! Cut some triangle pieces from the scooped out center for plate garnish.
2) Chop some of the scooped out dragon fruit to go in to the Shrimp salad along with red onion, lemon, spicy mustard, mayo, olive oil, chives, salt and pepper.
3) Create a Dressing for the shrimp salad made out of olive oil, a bit of low fat mayo, spicy mustard, lemon, salt and pepper. Measure to your taste liking.
4) Mix the shrimp in with the chives, red onion and dragon fruit and then pour the dressing over the shrimp as you like.
5) Tasty Tip for looking Ohh Soo Good: After you put the shrimp salad in the dragon fruit bowl, sprinkle some pieces of red onion, dragon fruit and chives on the very top for added color and pop! Place the Dragon Fruit bowl in a mini martini glass to make the presentation super cute and unique! Garnish the plate with pieces of dragon fruit and lemon.