Contributing Chef- Abby Reibman-Author of The Desk and The Stove
These mini noodle kugels work really well as either a larger canape or as an accompaniment to a meat dish for your next dinner party – and, how cute are they in the individual cupcake shape?! For reals, these are such a tasty treat that the The Hostess Handbook will let you in on a little secret…add a bit of grated parmesan and some chopped chives for an extra bite. Sshh.
Mini Noodle Kugel Ingredients: (Makes for 12)1 3/4 cups medium egg noodles
2-3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups sour cream 1 1/4 cups ricotta 1 1/2 tbl paprika 1 tbl poppy seeds 4-5 large shallots, thinly sliced
1-2 tbl butter white wine salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, brush some of it into cupcake tins. Saute the shallots in the rest of the butter until browned (approx. 10-15 min). Season with salt and pepper and deglaze with white wine. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles in salted, boiling water until al dente. Drain and immediately rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well again.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked noodles, sour cream, ricotta cheese, paprika, poppy seeds and browned shallots. Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper and add to the mixture. Combine well.
- Divide the mixture into the cupcake tins and bake in the oven at 425 F for 20-25 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown.
- Serve on its own as a larger canape, or as an accompaniment to a meat dish.